Sunday, October 10, 2004

Yet Another Stupid Andre Story from Iraq...

Tonight I had a rather odd experience. We have turned back the clocks here before y'all in the States and so, when I am on my way to work it is already dark. As I was walking along talking or singing to myself (either way I'm sure it would be frightening to witness), I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of what I thought to be the the flash of mortars being fired at us on the horizon. I immediately looked for the nearest place to take cover when I saw another flash off in the distance in a different location. I considered hitting the dirt right there as the bombardment should strike any minute, when I saw yet another flash and it finally dawned on me: there was a rainstorm brewing. Seeing as it has been five months since since we last had any rain, it hadn't occurred to me that there had actually been clouds in the sky lately.

I muttered to myself, "What am I, four years old and scared of thunder and lightning again?" When the next lightning flashed I was able to answer myself with an unqualified "Yes!" and I scurried on to get to work. Yippee! I don't have to wait. I get to have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder while I'm still in Iraq.

No comments: