Thursday, June 5, 2008

Keep It Classy

I'd been warned by a few of my friends who'd been to Alaska that there were two things about the women. The first was that there is a 10:1 man/woman ratio in Alaska, and the second is, because of that ratio, the women are to be avoided at all costs. As misogynistic as that sounds, believe me when I promise you that I cleaned up what they really told me so that it could be put in print without damning me.

At any rate, being in Anchorage where half of the total population of the state lives (600k in Alaska, thus 300k in Anchorage), there are far more women here than if I were in one of the smaller communities. The women seem much the same as anywhere else at first glance.

The other night at the restaurant where I bartend, during a lull, I struck up small talk with a waitress, Jessica, a petite mousy little 22yo who looked as if she were born to be a librarian or kindergarten teacher. I asked her, "What's the craziest thing you've ever done?" thinking I'd hear something as racy as "jaywalking."

"Sex in a movie theater," she said without batting an eye.

"Oh..." I mumbled, batting an eye.

"Yeah, it was packed. It was pretty hot."

"I was going to say mine was when I broke into a British Naval Radar Installation on the Rock of Gibraltar to watch sunset and sunrise, all while I was an American Army officer...yours sounds like it was more fun though."

"Yeah. It was hot."

"Wanna go to the movies?" was what I didn't ask.

No comments: