Wednesday, November 3, 2004

Short Story Long

As some of you might know I grapple with theological issues as a hobbie. Indeed, my degree in Classical Studies, useful for little else, helps me to verify sources and translations. I have been reading the works of a French theological cryptologist, Dr. Philippe de Merd, whose field of study involves considering biblical texts as sources for augury. This "science" was made famous a few years ago with the publishing of "The Bible Code", which claimed among other things, that by scanning the text of the Torah the phrase "Assassin will be Assassinated" was linked to the date that Yitzhak Rabin was killed. As opposed to applying decryption techniques to the Torah, Dr. de Merd's expertise lies in trying to discern the hidden messages of the Book of Revelation from the original Greek.

At any rate, I made a startling discovery today as I was perusing my copy of the Greek B.O.R. I found that by converting the letters of the greek Alphabet to numbers (there are 24), then adding the numbers together of each verse, deviding the sum's by pi times phi (the two famous irrational numbers; I hold that irrationality is the true nature of God and man) I was able to convert every passage down to a sum of 24 or less (using estimation to round to whole numbers), which I assumed would have to be reconverted to Greek.

Dr. de Merd's studies have shown that results from his methods usually provide anagramic answers so I spent hours rearranging the various letters but could find no real insight. At the end of the day, on a whim while doodling at my desk as I attempted to rest my noodle, I simply converted the twenty four possible letters to the first twenty four in the English alphabet.

I came up with this:

dienphtibnooogmipsnctiitarddeanereertapanethalsenofllidbewibegrmttoeaptvexnerseochersi

Amazingly, I found the proper order and when I did I dropped my pen. It read:

"chapter six verse one: The opening of the seals will be initiated Ajax Carpenter being promoted to captain"

Which makes perfect when melded into the existing Revelations 6:1

...and I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see."

Too late. I got promoted yesterday.

No comments: