Monday, December 22, 2008

Scenes from Acapulco

New format for the ADD impaired. See if this holds the audience's attention better.

- There are certain things that randomly strike one as very odd, no matter how many times or how long one has been in another country. One of these was the other morning when I ordered breakfast. To begin with, ordering enchiladas for breakfast seemed off, but I went with the flow. The nice lady asked me what I wanted to drink, cafe o leche. As I'm not a coffee drinker I went for milk. Four minutes later I was given a microwaved cup of milk I had to break the cooling skin to get to. I suppose all that separated it from Starbucks was a
snort of coffee and 3ozs of azucar, but still, damn strange.

-Albert, Sander and I very specifically asked what time the bus to Acapulco was the day before we left. We all heard the agent at the counter say 11am. When we arrived at 1005am, a different agent informed us that the bus had left at 10am. We had to wait for the 2pm bus. Typical.

-A friend told me, "Enjoy the Myrtle Beach of Mexico," when I said I was headed to Acapulco. He was wrong; it's more Daytona Beach.

-The hostel was a bit pricy ($15) but across the main avenue from the beach. It also had air conditioning. The downside? The rooms were 8'x6'3" and had 4 bunks. Submarine quarters are more spacious. The showers weren't cold, but they didn't get hot. After my first sunburn, I realized this was a good thing.

-We arrived after sunset. I wanted to see the cliff divers, whose last show was at 1030pm. I suggested we walk to get the lay of the land and to scout out something to eat. Both Dutch, having made repeated comments in the last few days about how lazy and fat Americans are, griped about walking. I teased them into acquiescence. I insisted we eat at the aptly named, "Tacos and Beer", of course.

-I bought sunglasses from a local market. I choose to believe they are UV protected and that they're not merely darkened plastic giving unfettered, ruinous access to my retinas. I choose to believe that.

-Of course I find my favorire pens in an office depot in Acapulco. The dozen I bought are my most expensive purchase to date.

-I like Mexican food. Hell, I love Mexican food. But I'm sick of it. I walked by a BK and saw a sign for a Whopper Furioso! Of course I got one. The receipt had it labeled "combo-Angry."

No comments: