Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Lion or a Rat

While walking in the wilderness,
I see you and acknowledge you.
Here, we are rare, wondrous beings.
I grant you respect and wide berth
As you follow suit towards me.
When I see you, I see myself:
Recognition of existence.
To survive out here, one must strive,
Overcome beasts and chance. Contend!
That we have met eyes proves our worth.
To move along or interact
Shall be each of our decision
And either way has its merits.
Choice ever trumps obligation.


In the city, I don't see you.
A blur of featureless faces,
Mere masks, I make no eye contact.
Head down, I jostle for my space.
I am aggrieved when I must speak,
For that must mean I can't bypass;
There is no way to get around,
And now amongst the teeming throng,
I am diminished by talking,
Which only proves my impotence.
I neither know you nor want to.
You have no value in my eyes,
Which I determine only if
There's something you can do for me.
Worth here is not tied to being,
But by how many owe you what.

No comments: