Friday, July 16, 2004

FW: Write a Soldier

The following letter was written by a fallen 2nd Brigade soldier. His buddy, who had promised to send it, had to copy it though because the actual letter was crusted with gore. He was so moved by the letter, to a child that had taken part in the "Write a Soldier" campaign, that he thought it a fitting tribute to his friend to share it with others as well. I think it is appropriate as well.


This is that letter:

Dear Timmy Smith,

I was SGT Dave Rickenbacker and I am dead. I wrote this letter, kept it in my hip pocket, and made my buddies promise to send it if I ever bought it. I'm writing to you Timmy because, frankly, it's your fault; that's right, your fault. You see, I was working out in the hovel we call a gym and I saw your letter, along with others, and it made a distinct impression on me.

I'll get into why you are responsible for my death in a moment but first I wanted to get a few things off my chest, the first being: Don't you think in retrospect, having been responsible for the death of a soldier, me, that you could have put the slightest effort into that letter? I mean, I know by the stacks of these letters that I see from all over the country that y'all only do these as make work, but would a little sincerity have been so hard? You didn't even try though, but hey you tell me if the following sentence is really the best you can do "I kant imajine how it is their…". I know I should probably blame your teacher as well, but at a certain point I think you should take responsibility for your actions. Would proofreading it have been so tough?

Secondly, I see from your letter that you attend the Paradise Education Center in Shreveport, Louisiana. That sounds like one of those places that rich people send their kids when they're booted out of every other school. What ticks me off is the name of the school. It's just another example of how our society is going to hell. Heaven forbid anyone damage you little brats' (and your parents') fragile psyches by telling it like it is (Miscreant Reform School doesn't roll off the tongue, does it). It makes me think of how they call prisons "correctional facilities" now. I'm gonna tell you something. You got a choice, you can either pull your head outta your ass and quit wasting your parents money (that means learn to spell, moron) or you can get ready to enlist, 'cause that's gonna be your only option when you have to get a GED.

Okay, well I mentioned it before, and now I'm gonna tell you why you are responsible for my death. Overall the letter just chapped my ass because of it's amazing insincerity. I'm sure you just got your little assignment, knocked it out (by the way four lines is not a letter), and then went back to torturing the class' pet turtle or engaging in some other deviancy. What set me off, and what set you apart from the rest, was the last line: "I'll be preying for you." What a load of crap. Did you pray Timmy? Did you? Hell, no! You wrote that because it sounded like something your mom would say and you couldn't wait to get done and go to recess. You know, maybe your prayer could have had an effect. Oh wait, no you don't know and you never will, because instead I took a bullet in the face, or I got my legs torn off by an IED blast, or a mortar decapitated me, spilling my brains all over the place. Don't you think it might have been worth the four seconds to honestly and sincerely pray something to the effect of "Dear God, please protect the soldiers that are fighting for me." You disgust me.

In summation, I'm dead, it's your fault and welcome to the Army.


SINCERELY,

Dave Rickenbacker
(Deceased)

No comments: