Friday, March 18, 2011

Does Not Compute

When it comes to the finer points of portraiture, I surely know little, if not nothing.  I freely admit to not understanding how to pose seriously for a photograph.  I can't fake smile (not without being blatantly fake, at least).  Despite that, I get that some folks have a "good side" and will angle themselves thusly.  Personally, I tend to think like the immortal Yogi Berra, who stopped a photographer from taking a head-on shot of him: "Oh, I can't do that.  That's my bad side."

My portraits are so bad they make me shut my own eyes.

At any rate, in this age of social media, portraits/profile pictures are common place.  And yet, so many have incorporated a tactic that is, frankly bewildering to me, and, I suspect, them as well.

So, I must ask:

What the hell is with women tilting/canting their heads to in between 25-45 degrees?


Are they trying to appear earnest?

I.  Cannot.  Figure.  This.  Out.

The closest I can figure, having seen puppies do the same head cock, 

is that these women who do this are perplexed.


But it can't be that, because they're clearly, purposely posing.  Perhaps they're trying to convey mystery or coyness?  Perhaps they're suggesting they have vertigo?  Perhaps they're inquisitive? 

People say that rouge is supposed to mimic the flush of a woman's cheeks when she's sexually aroused, thus attracting male attention.  Maybe, like that, these women are trying to convey being off-balance/tipsy/drunk and open to sexual suggestion?



Nope. 

Can't figure it out.

4 comments:

Marc said...

Andre, this is the single greatest blog entry in the history of blogging. You address key issues, provide fair arguments, and feature domestic animals and (allegedly) sexually aroused woman. Kudos.
Marc

Ajax said...

Who's this André people keep mentioning?

Liz said...

I think it's to draw attention away from asymmetry. If your face isn't symmetrical it's harder to tell when the sides of your face aren't straight-on in the photo.

Ajax said...

Ah! That's a good theory! Seriously. I'm glad someone understood I was seriously trying to find out why (even while joking around).